Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Creative Capers

 My crafty neighbour came over the other week and said she wanted to make something.  She'd seen an idea for cotton reels and did I have any old picture frames.  As a matter of fact, I did happen to have a couple, so we got busy planning.
 With a little help, we got some holes measured and drilled.  We chose some backing paper each and then began sanding and positioning.  We've still got a bit to go, but you get the idea.  Mine is going to hang right beside my sewing machine for easy access.
 Back to the garden saw me trimming off some of the iris's which left a lot of strappy leaves.  My sister is into basket making and it looked like fun.  I thought I'd have a bit of a go, not looking up any instructions or anything.
 Thought it couldn't be too hard. Hmmm, it actually was!  I think I may need to ask for some lessons from her.  I had a bit of fun with weaving,
 and then I thought I'd make a little tiny basket.  It was almost like a canary nest, and I was tempted to put it in the aviary, but remembered how my mother told me I couldn't make their nests for them.
 So, I thought I'd use it as a planter, and put a little succulent in it.
 I was very pleased with myself, even though it was a bit rough.  I had to use pegs to help me keep it together.
 Then to top off the crafty week, came the mini bon bons.
Mum had got one at her Christmas Knitting Party, and showed me.  I said "Oh I could make them for the Quilters Christmas Party!"  Then my sister saw them and said; "Oh I could make them for my Basket Club Christmas Party!" Then I took one to school and my teaching partner said; "We could make these for Christmas Fair!  I think the Bon Bons have gone viral.

5 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Being creative is such fun and so rewarding. I love all of the things you did, especially your little basket. You will enjoy your thread spool holder a LOT.

Happy Christmas holidays dear Annie ~ FlowerLady

Susan said...

Lovely creative pursuits. I'm sure I've got an old frame somewhere, I think I'll be giving the reel holder a go!

apiecefullife said...

I used to have all my cotton reels out on a holder. Be careful were you put it or the cotton threads can fade which will give you interesting variegated three but not always desirable.
You have been creatively busy.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It's fun to take a break and do something totally different, isn't it!

Sue Walker said...

Think I'm in the perfect place to learn basket weaving...